Today I not only hit most of my targets, but I knocked them out of the park. Here’s the breakdown:

Romance 1: 2227 of 2000

Romance 2: 7088 of 2000

Erotica 1: 1055 of 1000

Erotica 2: 1696 of 2000ish

Thriller: 1568 of 1500

If you’ve been paying attention you’ll note that I’ve shifted what I’m working on just a little. I made the decision at the end of August that I was going to keep my daughter home with me for her first year. Both because it seemed ridiculous to pay a daycare to watch her sleep and feed her every few hours and because I was going to be working harder to make up the cost of daycare when I could be putting that energy into taking care of her more directly.

That means I’ve had a shift in how I work. In the past I spent a lot of time working on new projects because I tended to get distracted by new shiny things pretty easily. I’m still working on new projects, but I’m working on new projects within the context of pen names that I’ve already established so I know there’s a better chance of success.

I have my daughter home with me for the next year or so, and so it’s time to focus on existing pen names rather than striking out with new things. There are a few ideas I’ve wanted to try and I’m excited about this shift. Plus I’m reminded of the Ron Swanson quote:

I’m going to focus on whole-assing my writing for awhile and returning to basics rather than splitting my attention by trying to launch some podcast projects that may or may not be successful. I’m also going to continue working on the supernatural thriller/horror/humor project that I’ve been working up so I’ll be trying at least one new thing. I also plan on focusing more on this site and working on sone nonfiction things about indie publishing here for now rather than recording a podcast.

The one thing I didn’t accomplish was getting some editing done on the thriller project, but I’ll just have to make that up tomorrow. I’ve switched back to dictation and that’s really been making a difference for helping me to knock out word counts. I can record most of my stuff at night after everyone else has gone to bed and then work on correcting and editing the next day which has been going well so far.

All in all today wasn’t a bad day. I set out with a target of 6500 words and ended up with 13634. Today was about as productive as some of my days before I had a little bundle of joy sleeping next to me while I make corrections and edits on the iPad Pro.

Now to keep up with that momentum into the holiday season!